Instagram

Hello!

Hello!
My name is Jessica.
I am a momma, wife, teacher, queen of the Diet Coke, Jesus loving new to blogging gal.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

MOMMArmSTRONG does meal planning

One of things I used to struggle with the most was meals. I never knew what I was going to prepare for dinner, where the dinner was coming from, or if I would have time to prepare the recipe I created. Also, as a teacher who's husband is a coach and works A LOT, I had to learn 15 lbs. and 100 cheeseburgers later the importance of menu planning. 
Since I have started menu planning not only has my life become easier, I shed the 15 lbs (well almost) , and have saved a TON of money from not eating out or wasting food.
The key to menu planning is finding a set time during the week that you can sit down and find meals you want to cook and eat. Try to keep the day the same each week. I usually do my menu plans on Monday for the following week. This makes it were I always have a menu one week in advance. Sometimes it is easier to menu plan for the whole month. Do what works best for you and your family. 
Once you have a set time and day to make your menu, you will need to create a calendar of what you are eating and when you are eating the meals. If you get on Pinterest you can find all kids of great meal planners.
 Personally, I use this meal planner from A Feathered Nest.
The bonus is the shopping list you make on the side.
I also love the Post-It note version of  meal planning from A Well-Feathered Nest.
 These are perfect for printing and putting in your planner.
After you have found a meal planner that works for you and your family, it is time to get planning.
  1. Mark down any days you know you will not be home for dinner. Make sure this is reserved for your "eat-out" day.
  2. Mark down any days that you know will be crazy, hectic, or late nights. Make sure to plan a crock pot meal or a meal made ahead on this day.
  3. Write down meals you know you'll want to eat. If you struggle with finding meals search Pinterst for ideas or use a cookbook. Here is an example of a menu for one week at my house. 
  4. During the school year I only focus on dinner for my meal plans. Breakfast usually consists of a yogurt, cereal, or bagel. Keep it easy. Lunch is usually pre-made salads, leftovers, or sandwiches. Once again, keep it easy.
  5. Don't forget to pin, print, or save any recipe's that you plan on using for the week. I usually like to print and place in my binder.
  6. Once you have your meals mapped out, create a grocery list of items needed. Stick to the list. It makes life easier and cheaper.
  7. Go shopping. If you can, pre-make as many of the meals as you can and freeze them. (Check back later this week for pre-making meals). I usually try to grocery shop on Sunday's. This allows me time to meal prep for the week and pre-make any meals. This also helps when planning for the following week on Monday's. I have a better idea this way on what items I have on hand and which  I don't.
What are some of your favorite meal plans?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment